In the intelligent factory, ICT technologies no longer just support production processes, but are integrated into components, machines and environments that thus become intercommunicating and intelligent CPSs.
The project - financed by the Lombardy Region within the Research and Innovation Agreements framework - relies on various technological application keys in various operational contexts:
- Smart components that self-diagnose their health
- Smart machines that generate data to analyse their status, predict future behaviours and regulate themselves
- Smart devices that facilitate human-machine interaction
- Smart factories equipped with monitoring and tracking system (connected factory)
The project leader is Cosberg, the partners involved are: Camozzi Automation (Smart component group); Politecnico di Milano (Department of Electronics, Information and Bioengineering and Department of Management Engineering); University of Brescia and Bergamo; CNR-STIIMA (Institute of Industrial Systems and Technologies for Advanced Manufacturing) and other leading companies for innovation.
Smart4CPPS shares the mission with the partners to:
- create a regional ecosystem of excellence that is a concrete expression of the Smart Factory concept
- transform Lombardy into a hub for digitisation processes for Small and Medium Enterprises.
The sectors involved are the manufacture of metal products - which covers 17% of regional manufacturing - the manufacture of plants and equipment - about 4% of regional VA - and the textile industry.
Smart4CPPs was launched in March 2017 and will end in September 2020.